Doing condo renovation in the Philippines is notorious for breaking the bank. A simple cabinet replacement costs thousands so imagine if you were to add an entire kitchen counter. Simply adding storage cabinets in the bedroom, updating the sink in the bathroom, or painting the living room walls also put a dent in our budget. But the truth is: remodeling ideas for kitchens doesn’t have to cost a lot of money.
The focal point of the house is the kitchen. Notice that major condos in the Philippines such as developments by DMCI Homes capitalize on having really stylish and functional kitchens. This is especially because the typical Filipino household loves to eat together and turn the kitchen into an informal gathering area. This is also true in other countries. One study revealed that home buyers are willing to pay extra for a really good kitchen. Errol Samuelson, president of Realtor.com said that people have shown more interest in having a nice kitchen because the media has consistently shown that home cooking is worth exploring while take-outs and deliveries aren’t actually that cool.
Condo living should not limit your imagination when it comes to kitchen designs. With or without a kitchen island, brand-new stainless appliances, and top-of-the-line cabinets, you can go for ideas for kitchen remodeling even if you are on a tight budget.
Here are 26 ways to achieve that kitchen design for your condo that you have been putting off because you are on a budget.
- Add a tile backsplash for a pop of color and personality.
- Opt for open shelving to display your prettiest dishes and cookware.
- Install a kitchen island for extra counter space and storage.
- Go bold with your kitchen color scheme.
- Add decorative accents like pendant lights, cabinet pulls, or tile flooring to give your kitchen some personality.
- Replace your old appliances with new, energy-efficient models.
- Install a wine rack to store your favorite bottles of wine.
- Keep your kitchen clean and chic with a minimalist theme.
- Choose cabinetry in a light wood tone for a refreshing and airy look in your kitchen.
- Install under-cabinet lighting to make cooking at night easier than ever before.
- Add a butcher block to your countertop to create extra prep space.
- Create a breakfast bar by adding an extra countertop to your kitchen layout.
- Hang pots and pans from hooks on the wall to free up cabinet space.
- Add a coffee station so you can start each day with a fresh cup of coffee brewed just the way you like it.
- Install a dishwasher so you can spend less time cleaning dishes and more time enjoying your mealtime conversations with family and friends.
- Build an indoor garden to help freshen up the space and add some natural décor.
- Mix and match materials for an edgy kitchen design.
- Switch to smart lighting for eco-friendly and cost-efficient illumination.
- Glam up your kitchen with new flooring.
- Mount a gorgeous false ceiling in your kitchen for function and style.
- Apply new paint palettes on your ceiling for an affordable kitchen facelift.
- Invest in high-quality cookware that will last you for years to come.
- Buy an instant pot so you can quickly cook meals without having to wait hours for them to be ready.
- Get yourself a stand-up mixer so you can easily prepare all of your favorite baking recipes without having to use multiple appliances.
- Create custom storage solutions for all of your baking supplies, spices, pots, and pans, etc., using deep shelves, baskets, and bins.
- Invest in a quality set of kitchen knives to make preparing meals easier than ever before.
1. Add a tile backsplash for a pop of color and personality.
A kitchen backsplash covers and protects the wall behind your sink against damage from inadvertent splashing. It can also be installed behind the countertop where you place your stove against grease and food splatter while you cook.
Backsplashes are more than just functional. These can spruce up your kitchen like wall decor. Go for a color that matches the overall theme of the area. You may also select from different materials such as ceramic, porcelain, or sheet glass.
2. Opt for open shelving to display your prettiest dishes and cookware.
Open shelving, especially space-saving floating shelves, is practical, functional, and stylish. You may shop for easy-to-install shelves in online shops or if you’re a handyman yourself, you can make them using the plywood and paint of your choice.
Floating shelves are great space savers and therefore perfect for condo living. Display your gorgeous chinas and tea sets you inherited from your great-great-grandma to glam up your kitchen.
3. Install a kitchen island for extra counter space and storage.
A kitchen island offers additional space for food preparation and storage. It can also double up as a breakfast or dining nook. Preparing and eating meals will feel more delightful. A kitchen island can be modern or rustic, depending on your preference. If unsure about the size, one of the best tips for a condo kitchen remodeling is to work closely with a contractor. You can definitely find the right island that fits your condo kitchen with the help of a professional.
If you’re on a tight budget, you can use an old long table and repaint it or retain the base of an old cabinet or drawer and top it with genuine granite.
4. Go bold with your kitchen color scheme.
Color allows you to bring in much-needed vibrancy and liveliness to the kitchen. What’s great about the kitchen is it can utilize a wider color selection than most areas in the condo. Surely, this can make selecting the right color for your condo time-consuming and stressful. One of the best ways to select the right color is to depend on your aesthetic taste. Whether the color you prefer is black, red, or white, the key is to combine colors to avoid making your kitchen monotonous and dull. Consider adding a splash of green and yellow since they are often associated with health and happiness. Gray and earth tones are great if you want a modern and subtle effect.
5. Add decorative accents like pendant lights, cabinet pulls, or tile flooring to give your kitchen some personality.
Adding fancy-looking kitchen elements such as pendant lights and tile flooring is an affordable design hack. You may browse through online shops for cheap finds or visit your local thrift shop. You’ll be surprised at the available selection within your budget.
6. Replace your old appliances with new, energy-efficient models.
If you think you’re saving money by keeping your old appliances, think again! Old appliances, especially refrigerators, can consume more energy than newer models. This is why buying secondhand appliances isn’t a cost-efficient idea. Aside from cutting your energy bills, opting for new and energy-saving appliances is great for the environment.
You don’t need to replace all of your appliances at once if your budget is limited. You may save up for each item.
7. Install a wine rack to store your favorite bottles of wine.
Are you a wine lover? Install a wine rack in your condo kitchen. A rack organizes your wine bottles in a single location and is a practical alternative to having a whole wine cellar/room. This can also offer amazing aesthetic appeal to your kitchen and a focal point of your design theme.
8. Keep your kitchen clean and chic with a minimalist theme.
A minimalist condo kitchen is perfect for its style and functionality. Given the tendency of kitchens to be cluttered, a minimalist design can provide a “wow” factor while keeping the space clean and orderly. For the budget-conscious, minimalism is a great choice because the focus is on key pieces; less is more. Not everything has to be new. Pre-loved furniture can add character to a minimalist kitchen. Simplifying your kitchen and eliminating unnecessary items will create an efficient and calming area. Since space is a consideration in most condos, a minimalist design can help you achieve the right arrangement for a no-frills kitchen.
9. Choose cabinetry in a light wood tone for a refreshing and airy look in your kitchen.
With a simple flick of a brush, you can give your condo kitchen a new look. Do you want a refreshing and airy vibe for your space? Paint your cabinets with a light wood tone. What about shades of green for a “healing effect”? Design experts at Armac Martin suggest green as a color of choice. “A natural color to complement kitchens, this year’s trending color draws on the understated hues of fresh herbs and produce like sage and olive – and for those dreaming of a more statement shade, decadent emerald and deep forest greens are in demand.”
10. Install under-cabinet lighting to make cooking at night easier than ever before.
Under-cabinet lighting provides “task lighting” for surfaces that might otherwise be shaded in the kitchen. This is installed on the underside of wall-mounted cabinets to shine down onto a countertop. With task lighting, food preparations can be easier for people with declining eyesight and poor vision and basically for everyone cooking at night.
Under-cabinet lighting can also add a dramatic effect to any type of kitchen design, whether traditional or modern. Add that extra illumination in your condo kitchen!
11. Add a butcher block to your countertop to create extra prep space.
A butcher block is a knife-friendly surface typically installed on the countertop for extra space for food preparation. There are different styles you can choose depending on the available space in your kitchen and your preference.
For small condo kitchens, you may choose a butcher block with cabinets or drawers below for extra storage. You may also go for a table-style countertop that you may use as a breakfast bar extension.
12. Create a breakfast bar by adding an extra countertop to your kitchen layout.
Is your space too tight for a dining set? You can have a breakfast bar instead. This is an informal alternative to the dining table and may be used as a food prep counter and a work area for your laptop (in case you want to check on emails while waiting for the beef to cook!). You may extend your bar-height countertop and add a couple of bar stools.
13. Hang pots and pans from hooks on the wall to free up cabinet space.
Let your gorgeous bronze pots and pans shine in your condo kitchen! You may install racks and rails on your kitchen wall or the space above your stove for your cookware. By adding lighting over racks, you create a powerful focal point for your kitchen. Feature a mix of metals such as stainless steel rails, antique bronze pots, and copper woks.
14. Add a coffee station so you can start each day with a fresh cup of coffee brewed just the way you like it.
Bring the cafe experience to your condo home by creating a coffee station. Choose a blank wall in your kitchen where you can mount a cabinet. Store coffee mugs, tea cups and other coffee and tea essentials inside the cabinet. Place your coffee maker and jars of sugar, creamer, etc. on top.
You may also designate the space next to the prep sink and below hanging shelves as your coffee station. Arrange your coffee and tea essentials such as a French press, jars of coffee beans and teas, glassware, and others on the countertop.
15. Install a dishwasher so you can spend less time cleaning dishes and more time enjoying your mealtime conversations with family and friends.
Dishwashers are almost unheard of in Filipino households because dishes are washed manually. But you may reconsider this because dishwashers can save water, soap and time. Washing the dishes can take a lot of time that you could spend with family and friends. What’s more, you can do away with back pain often associated with long hours of working in the kitchen.
16. Build an indoor garden to help freshen up the space and add some natural décor.
Add vibrance and energy to your kitchen with an indoor garden. With the right plants, your kitchen can look and smell beautiful. Perfect for a gourmand’s paradise, an indoor garden in your kitchen can uplift the area and make it more efficient. Imagine having easy access to fresh ingredients for cooking. Moreover, an indoor garden improves your condo’s air quality. Replace unwanted odor with the therapeutic smell of herbs such as rosemary, mint, and parsley. Herbs in pots are great and easy to maintain. But did you know that you can also use hydroponic planters? Hydroponics is a form of soilless gardening that uses nutrient-enriched water. It is useful for busy condos because you don’t have to water the plants often.
17. Mix and match materials for an edgy kitchen design
Do you want the out-of-the-box kitchen to remodel ideas? Give your condo kitchen an edgy design. Condos in DMCI Properties are designed in such a way that allows you to incorporate your own edgy aesthetic. For the kitchen, a great way to try out edgy design is with the use of different materials. Combining different materials in your kitchen remodeling can create a fascinating space. It’s also budget-friendly because you’re combining traditionally expensive and more affordable materials. For example, instead of using all wood or stone, you can throw laminate and Thermofoil in the mix. Combining materials has a stylish effect while providing flexibility in texture and function.
18. Switch to smart lighting for eco-friendly and cost-efficient illumination.
A condo kitchen remodeling isn’t complete without proper lighting. Upgrade your kitchen lights with economical and stylish illumination. LED lights are a fantastic alternative to ordinary bulbs. LED lights require less electricity and don’t burn out quickly. Since your hands can be full in the kitchen, consider sensor-activated LED lights for a practical upgrade. It’s great for busy condos because it dispenses with the need for a light switch. Combine white and warm yellow for balanced illumination. With smart lighting, your condo kitchen will have a brighter ambiance and design-friendly functionality.
19. Glam up your kitchen with new flooring.
One way of giving your kitchen a new look is by installing new flooring. Vinyl tiles are great for the kitchen because they require minimal maintenance. It wouldn’t hurt if you drop food or spilled water. They also come in various textures and designs and are very affordable. Laminate and cork are also good flooring options for the kitchen.
20. Mount a gorgeous false ceiling in your kitchen for function and style.
A false ceiling or dropped ceiling is installed below the original ceiling and is usually suspended by wood or metal frames. This is usually used to conceal wirings, soundproof a room, and help reduce moisture and sagging of the original ceiling. Other benefits of a false ceiling are fire safety and energy efficiency. False ceilings can also be decorative, especially when combined with gorgeous textures and a variation of lighting.
21. Apply new paint palettes on your ceiling for an affordable kitchen facelift.
Brighten things up by giving the ceiling a new paint job. Ceilings look dingy over time with smoke, dust, and dirt, and giving them a fresh coat will transform the entire space. Scrape off dirt and “popcorn ceilings” before applying paint.
22. Invest in high-quality cookware that will last you for years to come.
Since you use pots and pans nearly every day, it’s just reasonable to spend a little more on cookware. But this doesn’t mean that you should max out your credit card for a new set. You may spend more on cookware that you often use such as the frying pan and Dutch oven. High-quality pots and pans can offer a more consistent and pleasant cooking experience. Wouldn’t you want to cook your beef caldereta well in sturdy Dutch ovens that retain heat well?
23. Buy an instant pot so you can quickly cook meals without having to wait hours for them to be ready.
When buying appliances for your kitchen, always think about efficiency. Choose appliances that will save you energy consumption (and lower your electricity bill) and time for meal preps. Consider buying an instant pot for your condo kitchen. This amazing appliance can do various cooking tasks including stewing, slow cooking, steaming, baking, and sauteing. There are premier models that can monitor the pressure and temperature of the food, keep time and automatically adjust heating intensity and duration. These functionalities enable you to devote your time to other activities instead of spending hours cooking.
24. Get yourself a stand mixer so you can easily prepare all of your favorite baking recipes without having to use multiple appliances.
You don’t need to get an appliance for every cooking task. There are models that can do various processes – saving you in electric usage and kitchen space. A stand mixer may have several optional attachments from meat grinders to pasta makers. With only one (1) kitchen tool, you can thoroughly mix, knead, whip, and do various tasks. A stand mixer may be a bit pricey so you may consider waiting for a bonus!
25. Create custom storage solutions for all of your baking supplies, spices, pots and pans, etc., using deep drawers, baskets, and bins.
Kitchens are prone to clutter. Aside from your cookware, there are appliances, cutlery, condiments, and lots of other cooking essentials. Organize your space by adding extra storage such as deep drawers, baskets, and bins.
When you remodel your condo kitchen, don’t forget to build deep drawers for bulky pots and pans. You may go for graduated drawer units next to your stove or oven, perfect for storing lids at the top and bigger pots at the bottom. If drawers don’t fit your budget, you may opt for bamboo baskets or bins for a natural look.
26. Invest in a quality set of kitchen knives to make preparing meals easier than ever before.
Quality cooking tools such as knives go a long way. Good quality knives don’t wear off quickly like cheaper ones, helping ensure a safe chopping process. Maintenance is also easier with better knives because you can sharpen these with ease and they don’t rust easily. Finally, food prepping is comfortable in hand and convenient for various cooking tasks.
No need to get a loan or sacrifice your budget just to get some work done on your kitchen. What is important is that you know how to prioritize — which should be repaired, repainted, or replaced first. You must have a plan before doing any renovation. Go for function and style!